Sant Agustí Vell
Updated: Aug 27, 2019
Main article: Prehistory and history of the Balearic Islands: Menorca
The village is very little explored, despite the fact it might be one of the largest prehistoric settlements on the island. It includes two talaiots, two possible taula sanctuaries, several ruins of houses of which some pillars still remain, and a rain water collection system composed of small reservoirs located at the base of the talaiot. Near the village there are several hypogaea and caves, mostly natural, such as the "Cova des Coloms" of a remarkable height, about 20-25 m tall.
The southern talaiot (Ses Bigues de Mata)
Talaiotic Ia (1400-1150 BC)
Radiocarbon dating of a lentisk beam: 870 BC
Structure: 12.8 m (diameter) × 6 m (height)
Chamber: 6.8-7.3 m (diameter) × 4.2 m (height)
Corridor: 3.5 m (length) × 2.3 m (height)
The southern talaiot, also known as Ses Bigues de Mata, is the largest of the village and it is considered to be the largest hollow talaiot of the Balearic Islands. It has a circular plan and a shape of a truncated cone, and it was built with stones of various sizes. A gate points southwest and is composed of polylithic pillars and a monolithic lintel, which through a short corridor leads to the interior. It has a large circular chamber with a high ceiling, supported by mediterranean type (wider at the top) polylithic pillars, originally aided by several lentisk beams of which only one remains.
There might have been an upper chamber, however the access to it from the lower chamber has been blocked by a collapse. Another access has been discovered to the supposed upper chamber, to the southeast, likewise blocked. Several houses and a unknown building are attached radially to the talaiot.